Since it was Canada Day long weekend, I decided to stock up on veggies and take my time to put together some meals for this upcoming week. I’m also going on vacation so only have to make six meals (lunches/dinners) since breakfast is always steel cut oats. Since I had more time to shop, I visited my local farmer’s market, supermarket and produce store to get all my vegetables.
I was inspired by a friend’s meal this week to try and make a collard greens wrap and just my luck, they were really fresh at the farmer’s market so I went for it and made a chicken hummus collard greens wrap. To go with the wraps, I paired it with a potato salad and some cabbage/carrot slaw. As well, summer vegetables looked really good so made a simple veggie bake to go with the baked chicken breast.
Chicken Hummus Collard Greens Wrap
- 1 chicken breast, baked and shredded
- 12 collard leaves
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 8 stalks asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- Hummus, store bought or homemade (mine was homemade)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Trim the white ends of the collard leaves as well as try to pare down the rib so that it’s flush with the leaf thickness.
- Simmer 2 inches of water in a large pan with salt and lemon juice. When it starts to simmer, turn heat down and place your first leaf in the water. Submerge for 30 secs and remove from water. Set aside on top of paper or kitchen towel to dry. Repeat for all leaves.
- Heat the pan with the canola oil and place the cut asparagus and pepper into it. Toss until asparagus is cooked yet firm.
- To assemble, place 2 leaves overlapping with the stems away from each other. Layer hummus, chicken, carrot and asparagus onto the leaves. Roll like a burrito with tucking in the sides as you roll. Repeat until all rolls are done. Then enjoy!!
- 6 baby red potatoes, washed and cut into quarters
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, de-seeded and diced
- 1 stalk green onion, diced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp hummus
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes until soft yet firm. About 15 mins. Rinse and run under cold water to cool.
- Mix together the carrots, cucumber, potato, green onion, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, hummus, salt and pepper.
- Place in fridge for at least 1 hour before serving. It just tastes better cold!
Summer Veggie Bake
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced in rounds
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced in rounds
- 1 baby summer squash, de-seeded and sliced
- 9 stalks of asparagus, trimmed
- 1 stalk leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450F.
- Cut up the leek and wash it thoroughly. Here is a great Youtube video on how to wash it – I had to look it up.
- Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in the pan and put leek slices into the pan and saute until soft. Add the garlic for an additional minute.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil into your baking dish (mine’s a 2 qt) and spread around with paper towel until lightly coated. Place sauteed leeks on the bottom of the dish.
- Layer tomatoes, zucchini and summer squash, alternating slices. Place asparagus in between the rows.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil and salt and pepper over veggies.
- Put in oven and bake for 45 mins or until veggies are soft. Serve with baked chicken breast.
Hope you had a great weekend and happy cooking 🙂