Along with booking transportation, accommodations would be the next step in planning a trip. We didn’t have a budget set out for accommodations but kept a simple rule of under $50 CAD per night, per person. It might seem like a lot to some people but we have been working adults for a couple of years so it’s us being hopeful in living in some sort of luxury – ie. not having to share a bathroom with others as much as possible.
Planning for a spring/summer trip quickly taught us that places get booked up quickly, especially for Dublin, Glasgow, Amsterdam, and Copenhagen. For some of the cities, it was due to major sporting events and for others, we’re actually not sure why.
We used the following websites to book all of our accommodations:
- Air BnB – people post their own places for short term stays
- Hostel World – Online hostel bookings, ratings and reviews
- Hostel Bookers – Online hostel and hotel bookings, ratings and reviews
- Booking.com – Online hostel and hotel bookings, ratings and reviews
Like booking transportation, we spent a lot of time on the phone and the Internet to figure out where we wanted to stay. There were a lot of factors that we kept in mind: where are the “touristy” areas, what’s close to our bus/train station, can we get from where we arrive to the hostel by walking there, the type of rooms available (dorm vs. private rooms), and the price per night per person.
Below is a list of the places we’ll be staying separated into hostel, hotel and AirBnB categories. I will be updating this post by linking to my reviews on our stays with these places . I didn’t name the AirBnB places, they will be in my review posts. Also, I don’t have a full list of the places we’re staying at with the tour, so will also update as we go.
- Euro Hostel Glasgow – Glasgow
- Belfast International Hostel – Belfast
- Barnacles Temple Bar House Hostel – Dublin
- B&B I am here – GIOIA 66 – Milan
- San Giorgio Villas – Santorini
- Prague-1 Hostel – Prague
- Baxpax Mitte Hostel – Berlin
- Wombats City Hostel – Munich
- Inner Amsterdam – Amsterdam
- Station Hostel Backpackers – Cologne
- Annex Copenhagen – Copenhagen
- Hotel Giamaica – Rome
- Hotel Cherubini – Rome (with tour)
- Park Inn by Radisson Oslo – Oslo