Day three has been the worst day for hunger yet. I got up feeling really hungry that I drank a whole glass water before getting out of bed. We got up and made eggs with onion and tomato.
I was very grateful that my sister and I were doing this challenge together because we also had to look after our mother, who was feeling really sick and needed to go back to the hospital. She had an appointment at the same time as my bf, so my sister went with with mom and I went with my bf. I cannot imagine how people would have to make the decision of taking time off work to care for a loved one or to go to work and make money and figure out other arrangements.
For lunch, we cooked the same noodle recipe from Day 1. After that, we went to our appointments. Even though I was taking care of my bf, he could see that I was looking tired and not quite myself. I knew I had to keep on going so after taking him to his appointment, I did some errands and went home to cook dinner.
Dinner was a new meal – Yellow Split Pea & Vegetable soup (recipe below). It didn’t take that long to prep, just took time to cook. I was very grateful to have dinner and couldn’t wait for my sister to come home (my mom ended up having appendicitis and had her appendix removed that afternoon so my sister stayed with her).
Dinner recipe and pictures can be found below.
Half way there! Stay tuned for day 4 and 5 progress.
To learn more or donate, CLICK HERE
Recipes (servings for 2 people)
Yellow Split Pea & Vegetable Soup
- 1 potato (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1/4 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 3 leaves cabbage (sliced)
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 tsp soup mix
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, cabbage, and potato.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the water, split peas, and soup mix.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the peas are soft and the soup thickens, about 40 minutes. If the soup becomes too thick, add a little water.