Last night before going to bed, we found a recipe from Marin Mama Cooks blog that would allow us to “pre-cook” the steel cut oats. You put the oats in boiling for one minute and then you let it sit out overnight. Re-heat it in the morning and you’re good to go! The steel cut oats has a crunchy texture compared to regular milled oats but I like that extra crunch. We added sliced banana and half a teaspoon of brown sugar.
I set out to finish groceries and ended up at a local bulk food store and No Frills. The rest of the groceries were:
- Milk (473ml carton = $1.59)
- Cinnamon (0.03lb = $0.15)
- Soup Mix (0.10lb = $0.20)
- Teabags (4 = $0.30)
- Zucchini (2 small = $1.12)
- Banana (1 = $0.21)
- Seasoning (brown sugar, salt, pepper, soy sauce and hot sauce = $0.40)
Total this trip: $3.97
Total spent: $14.82
We’re not sure what we’re going to do with the left over money – maybe a treat of some sort…
For lunch, cooked up rice and a veggie stir-fry – recipe below. It wasn’t hard but I was glad we were eating again. Throughout the morning my stomach was occasionally rumbling and to fight it off, I just started drinking more water.
I got a call from the bf saying that he was at a walk-in clinic because he hurt his neck. So I went to keep him company and make sure that he got home okay. I ended up cooking dinner for him – he’s not doing the challenge but was in serious pain and couldn’t cook for himself, so I did. I ate the leftover Shepherd’s Pie from the first night (recipe found here). By dinner time, my energy levels were really low and I was feeling very tired. I’m not sure how people living below the poverty line have the energy to work and take care of others because it was my second day and it was hard.
Recipes and pictures can be found below.
Stay tuned for Day 3 reflections tomorrow!
To learn more or donate, CLICK HERE
Recipes (servings for 2 people)
Steel Cut Oats (modified recipe from Marin Mama Cooks)
- 1/3 cup of Steel Cut Oats
- 1 1/3 cups of Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Banana (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Boil water and pour oats into pot.
- Let the water boil for one minute and take pot off heat.
- Let oats sit overnight at room temperature.
- In the morning, re-heat the oats on the stove and serve with banana and brown sugar.
– – – – –
Rice with veggie stir-fry
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 Tomatoes (diced)
- 1 Zucchini (diced)
- 1/4 Onion (diced)
- 3 leaves Cabbage (sliced)
- 2 gloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp Soup Mix
- 1 tsp Oil
- Rinse rice and put into rice cooker along with the water. Turn on and let it cook.
- Cut up tomatoes, zucchini, onion, cabbage, and mince garlic.
- Add oil to pan and add onion, zucchini, cabbage, and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes and soup mix to the veggies.
- Divide rice into two bowls and add the veggie mix on top of it.